Friday, April 22, 2011

Greatest Craigslist ad ever.

So the other day my friend Amanda* was checking out Craigslist ads for housing because she was considering subletting a room in the fall. She would send me different listings that seemed reasonable to get my opnions on them, but no one really stood out about the rest. They were all fairly typical: price, description of apartment, few lines about how they are friendly and clean. Whatever, blah blah, here are some pictures. I didn't think I would be much of a help since they were all so similar, until she asked me a very important question.

What is BDSM?

To be honest with you, my first reaction was to laugh at her for a few minutes. Then, between gasping breathes from laughing so hard, I was forced to ask why she wanted to know since this question came out of context. Only when she sent me this posting did I explain to her what BDSM was.

This is the posting copied and pasted verbatim:


$700 Female Only BDSM Lifestyle House (JP)

We are a group of 3 Females (and one male servant)........ Gay friendly ........in our 20's......... in JP. We share a common interest ....We are are looking for a FEMALE roomate only ......who shares the same interests or at least understands (If you don't know what BDSM is then don't reply) Please be serious and real . Reply with contact number.


Now not only is this posting a little bit insane, but it truly seems like it should be found on the "Casual Encounters" section of Craigslist rather than the "Apt/Housing" section. Here's the thing, I totally don't judge this kind of stuff. Hey, it's your life, do what you want with it. I'm big on the live and let live mentality. However, the idea of my friend Amanda going and checking out this apartment without being aware of what BDSM is was almost too much to bear.

Other friends, like Amanda, that don't know BDSM is might want to get out this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bdsm

However the brief description is that BDSM stands for bondage, discipline (or) dominance, submission (or) sadism and masochism. So if you didn't know that, can you possibly imagine what you would have walked into at that apartment!

I decided to be kind and explain to her what it was so she didn't waste her time. But I almost let her go when she said to me, "Wow they have a servent, it must be a really nice place!" just to watch her freak out when she realized what kind of "servant" he really was.


So remember, everyone is ridiculous, including kink-loving people looking for a new roommate.


*Names have been changed to protect the innocent, the not to so innocent, and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment